The being with a human body as precious,but even more precious is the association with Lord and His devotees.’
Why the ecstatic remarks.Because ,the human body has all the facilities needed for inquiry into the truth.Ofcourse it has all the facilities to look after its comforts and upkeep.It also has the ability to combat disease by itself in self correcting mode provided prescribed lifestyles are adhered to.
The real trouble starts when we seek to cash in on the sensuous capabilities disregarding the injunctions and interdictions-the do’s and donts’-of shaastras.
- The four purushaartaas dharma,artha,kaama and mokshaa are all legitimate but in their proper context.Bhagavatha tells us that dharma or religion has to be used only for moksha not for earning money. Artha or money shall be used only for furthering dharma,of course a part of it going to meet ones legitimate desires.Desires or kaama shall not be used for pleasing the senses but in upkeep of life.Life shall be used to understand tattwas or principles on which the world is run by the Lord.
As long as we observe the dictum we are likely to lead a meaningful life.This unfortunately is not always possible because of the pitfalls.
- Bhagavatha examines these pitfalls in an exhaustive fashion through a beautiful allegory of Nine gated City.
- We are invariably led astray by our desires.Gita describes desire,anger and illusion as three gates to hell.
- Jivas have different propensities to respond to calls of desire,anger,greed,illusion,jealousy etc.according to the proportions of sativa,rajas and tamas
- in their triguna portfolio.In fact Madhwa says there are three types of jivas,one who is eligible for moksha,the second nitya samsaari or the itinerarent wanderer and the last tamoyogya or for for perdition.
- Mukti yogyas try to please the Lord through obligatory duties performed as a sacrifice and invariably are not so much attracted to the sense pleasures.According to Madhwa,mostly godheads or devathas fall in this category.Many others,infact most human beings are nitya samsaaris or itinerant travellers going round and round the whirligig again and again. They are engaged in good and bad deeds.Tamo yogyas are constantly engaged in bad deeds and accordingly reap the fruit of such bad deeds.People such as Hiranyakasipu,Ravanaa,Duryodhana,Kamsa in the days of yore and people such as Hitler,Bin Laden etc in our own time come you mind.
- Why can’t everybody be good,we ask in desperation in thee trying times of terrorism and conflicts.The simple answer is there always have been such vile persons.You just can’t wish them away.That is the way that it is and always has been.
- As already pointed out,the lease on the nine gated city,the human body can be put to good use or bad use depending on where our propensities lie.To some extent the propensities can be refined through own efforts and Guru’s help.If we are fortunate we get the help of a Guru to guide us and successfully cross this terrible ocean of samsaara.
- The association with devotees,and sat sang,sadvichara,sadaachaara are the cornerstones on which a successful journey is moored.